Tuesday 29 June 2010

Meet Rusty

Hi folks, How are we all today? Good, I hope.

Today I thought I'd take a bit of time to introduce you to the newest member of our family. But if you could just humour me for a little while I'll start at the beginning.

Do you remember Kate?
Yes ... That's the one ....... Well a couple of months ago now she decided that she wanted to be a mummy. So Hubby and I ( being very unprepared for this ) took a trip back to the chicken breeder and asked him for some advice. An hour or so later we found ourselves armed with a broody coop ( in the form of a rabbit hutch lol) and 8 fertile eggs!!!! So we slipped the egg's under Kate and crossed our fingers lol. Over the next few day's Poor Kate managed to break 4 of the egg's but sat tight on the other 4 quite happily for the next 21 day's.
So anyway to cut a long story short two of the remaining egg's turned out to be infertile, one tried to hatch but sadly didn't win the fight and well .... That leaves Just one doesn't it ............

So ..... Meet Rusty .................

Here she is at not quite a day old ................ How cute...... It's been great fun watching her develop over the last few week's. I have really enjoyed Watching Kate teach her baby how to peck, scratch and perch and all he other things That chickens do.
Here are some snaps I took about an hour ago.....................


...................... Hasn't she grown ................


She's about 6 week's old now and is Growing rapidly and happily getting into lot's of mischief lol.



Of course I'm saying she but really we haven't got a clue as to what sex it is, we shall just have to wait and hope that it is a she because unfortunately if it turns out to be a he we shall have to Re-home him. But we won't think about that Just now will we?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sweet! And lovely for you all to see him/her growing. Looks as if you may have to rename him/her Blackie, though! Hope it turns out to be a she so you can keep her!

Janet x

Jackie said...

A big welcome to Rusty! The chick photos are so lovely - lets hope she is a she so you can keep her! x

Joey said...

awwwwwwwwwwww Karen how wonderful! welcome rusty :O) x

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

Rusty is so cute!

Victoria x

Dawn said...

Very sweet! I have never quite got around to getting eggs when our hens are broody. Perhaps next Spring...

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

Oh dear now I badly want some hens too! Those little chickens are just too cute. Can I ask how large an area do you need for a few and are they really messy? Would our girls find them a lovely pet or get bored after a short while? I need to convince the man!

Auntie Cake said...

Hi Girl!!!
Yay!!! My computer is finally fixed, I can re-join the rest of the world...

Love your new baby. I totally had to laugh, I hatched out 10 baby chicks in an incubator, then I humored two of my broody hens and let them sit on some eggs. I went out one morning to three more baby chicks.

Then a week later, I went out to see the other chick had hatched out a couple of her eggs. The next morning, it looked like a baby chicken factory had exploded in my chicken coop. The second chicken hatched out 12, count them 12 baby chicks! I wish you lived closer, I now have chickens coming out my ears, and some could use a good home.

Hope you and your jolly bunch are enjoying the summer. I loved the pics of the fishing adventure. Looks like a wonderful time! I am teling Dan that he needs to take me to London next year. We shall see how far I get with that one!!!

Kate